Vjetrenica cave is located in the area of southern Dinaric crass region at the edge of Popovo polje, flat plains region, 300 meters to the East of Zavale village at the altitude of 260 meters and 12 kilometers far from Adriatic sea.
7000 meters of underground corridors
Main direction of the underground corridors is south-southeast pointing to the direction of the Adriatic sea. This cave is prepared for tourist visits before 1940 and at 1952 it is proclaimed as protected nature monument. At 1964 authorities made some major improvements by creating electrical grid long 1050 meters with building of paths long 1800 meters. Vjetrenica cave is nominated to the list of Worlds Heritage Sites at UNESCO.
What is interesting about this cave is the fact that is mentioned in first century AD in the book "Historia Naturalis" published at 77 AD by Pliny The Elder. systematic explorations of the Vjetrenica cave begins at the end of 19th century by scientists Groller (1889), Vavrović (1893), Katzer (1903) and others. Most detailed explorations was made by Karel Absolon between 1912 and 1914. He discovered almost all corridors known today.
Vjetrenica or "Windy cave"
Vjetrenica cave is specific for it's characteristic "wind" and that's the main reason for it's naming Vjetrenica or "Windy cave". At the entrance visitor can feel strong air circulation caused by the difference of the temperatures inside the cave and outside the cave. On the topographic area above Vjetrenica cave we can find deep cracks in the stone where during the summer enters the hot air inside the cave, cools down to the cave temperature and goes out again through the entrance. This air stream is pretty strong at the entrance and by some measuring it reaches the speed of 10-15 meters in a second. At the winter air stream changes direction and the air enters the cave through the entrance. Cave temperature is constant through the year and it is 10 degrees Celsius.
Vjetrenica cave is very rich with different flora species with almost 200 of them recorded.
The cave is opened for group and individual visits with a local guide.