Ostrozac castle in Cazin is real jewel of Krajina because it was populated for very long time with a different kinds of masters and every one of them give something special to the castle during rebuilding or renewal. Old documents informs us that Ostrozac is very old. Some of it says that Ostrozac was built in 1286 AD and that is an official date of it's birth, but some historians claims that Ostrozac was mentioned by name Horosium or Hostosach in 405 BC. House of Babonjic princes ruled the Ostrozac before Ottoman arrival and there is a document found from 1403 AD with their seal roundly shaped with tower, eight corner star and a crescent moon with a Latin text "a comunitatis Ostrocensis".
Sculptors colony in old fortress
In the middle of 16th century Ottomans arrived in Cazin and begin with their 300 years rule of Ostrozac. Ostrozac was ruled by the captains family Besirevic and fortress became their family property. Mehmedbey Besirevic sold the castle to Lothar van Berks, Austrian officer who was a mayor of Bihac region in the time of Austrian-Hungarian rule. Lothar van Berks has initiated rebuilding of the Ostrozac castle from 1896 to 1905 and with that move he made it highly attractive for visitors who has been amazed by it's beauty, libraries, paintings, music salons and other artistic elements.
Ostrozac castle was populated until 1942. After that it's importance decreases until 1969 when Republic cultural fund opens a sculptors colony in Ostrozac. Thanks to that Ostrozac now has a gallery of sculptures under the open sky.